How about a cool summer Caprese Salad with Fresh Mozzarella and Burrata, and Lemon Olive Oil (Gluten Free) on this hot day? I definitely don’t want to heat the house up today. With plenty of fresh basil in the garden and homegrown tomatoes from my sister in Corralitos about thirty miles away, this caprese salad is the perfect choice! The fresh mozzarella and creamy burrata cheese are lovely with the drizzled local Bella Farms Lemon Olive Oil. It doesn’t get much better than this!
No fuss summer meal
This salad is perfect for a simple no fuss meal. Add a package of Italian Sausage on the grill and cook for 12-15 minutes. You can also throw some herbed potato slices to grill as well. Sometimes we just start the potato rounds in the microwave for a quick version. Then toss in olive oil and herbs of your choice. Grill over medium heat, turning a few times. Dinner simplified! For some extra greens, plate with some baby spinach leaves.
Be creative in your presentation ~ use your inner artist to create a masterpiece
You can get as creative as you want with your caprese salad, in your presentation or by adding other ingredients if you like. But honestly it doesn’t anything else. Just very vine ripened tomatoes, and fresh basil. You could even skip the cheeses to make this vegan (and serve with a vegan sausage for some protein).
For a light meal, serve this with a flatbread, like Gluten Free Flatbread with Dubliner Cheese, Roasted Chicken and Sun Dried Tomatoes, or our Best Artichokes – ON or OFF the Grill, or some simply grilled vegetables and/or meats.
Caprese Salad with Fresh Mozzarella and Burrata, and Lemon Olive Oil (Gluten Free)
- 10-12 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced into 1/4" thick rounds
- 8 oz. burrata cheese
- 12-15 large leaves of basil, rinsed and dried
- 3 heirloom tomatoes or other ripened tomatoes, slicedd 1/4" thick use multiple colors or tomatoes for variety
- 4 oz. multi-colored plum or cherry tomatoes, cut in halves or quarters
- 3 tbsp Bella Farms Lemon Olive or other lemon olive oil, olive oil, or balsamic reduction
- salt and pepper to taste
- Layer the heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil in a circular pattern on the platter or plate. Or make a pattern with the tomatoes and top with basil leaves and add the mozzarella in a circle to the center.
- Add the burrata cheese to the center, and top with the halved cherry tomatoes, and more leaves basil (torn in half). Drizzle with lemon olive oil, olive oil, or balsamic reduction. Add a sprinkle of salt and crushed black pepper.