These Perfect for a Picnic S’mores Pie Squares (Gluten Free) are an easy addition to your picnic or bbq. I made them for Labor Day! I wish my granddaughter had been here, because I think she would love these. She loves s’mores, but hates to get sticky and messy!
Easy to prepare and have ready in advance
The bonus on these squares is that they can be prepared in advance. They are quick to make (under 30 minutes including the bake time), and not as sticky or messy as smores! You can cut them into bars or squares, serve with ice cream, or just enjoy them as is. You probably won’t be able to stop at one though!
Which gluten free graham crackers should you use?
I used Schaar Gluten Free Graham Crackers, but I also use Pamelas Graham Style Crackers Gluten-Free Honey Grahams often. They do contain dairy so confirm that no one has a dairy allergy before using.
Gluten free marshmallows ~ or are they all gluten free?
As far as gluten free marshmallows go, I like to use Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Marshmallows. They are both gluten free and vegan. Campfire Marshmallows are also gluten free. There is some debate on whether Kraft jet-Puffed are gluten free. They aren’t cerfified gluten free for sure. But many brands say they don’t contain gluten for those that aren’t as sensitive.
Guittard Chocolate is the best!
For Chocolate, I used Guittard Extra Dark Baking Chips, but you could also break up gluten free chocolate bars and lay underneath the layer of marshmellows. I just like the look of the chips scattered across the marshmallows.
Just omit the peanut butter for a nut allergy
These have all the flavor as a s’more (but I add peanut butter). Just omit the peanut butter for a nut allergy. They will still be delicious! But if you are able to use peanut butter, try using a natural unsweetened peanut butter, since the marshmallows are extra sweet already.
Can you make these S’mores Pie Squares vegan?
Make these vegan by using Trader Joe’s Gluten Free and Vegan Marshmallows and substituting a gluten free vegan butter substitute. You may need to search for a vegan and gluten free graham cracker or make your own, though. Neither of the ones I’ve listed are vegan, unfortunately.
Perfect for a Picnic S’mores Pie Squares (Gluten Free)
- 12-16 Schaar's Gluten Free Graham Cracker squares or other gluten free brand
- ½ cup natural peanut butter optional
- ¾ cup Guittard Extra Dark Baking Chips, gf or other gluten free chocolate chip
- 12 (12 oz) jumbo sized marshmallows, gf 12 jumbo sized or 24 regular
- ¼ cup Bob's Red Mill Oat Flour Gluten Free
- ¼ cup butter, cut up or gf dairy free butter for dairy free option
- ½ teaspoon baking powder, gf
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a 8 x 8" or 9 x 7" baking dish with parchment.
- Lay the graham cracker squares on the parchment. Break some of the graham crackers in half to fit the dish. Spoon teaspoons of peanut butter across the graham cracker squares, one teaspoon per square.
- Cut the butter into the oat flour, baking powder, and brown sugar. Pour half of the mixture over the marshmallows. Scatter half of the chocolate chips across the top.
- Set jumbo or regular sized marshmallows across the pan. Pour the remaining oat flour/sugar mixture over the top. Scatter with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake 20 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown.
- Cool before cutting into squares. Makes 12-20 squares or bars.
We also love these Mama Laura’s Kitchen desserts to share for a picnic:
Gluten Free and Grain Free Dark Chocolate Brownies
Laura’s Organic and Gluten Free Lemon Bars