Treat yourself to a “at home” Gluten Free Hazelnut Mocha without all the additives which may or may not be gluten free when you order out. I have a super hard time ordering coffee drinks, not knowing if everything from the syrups to the almond or oat milks used contain any gluten.
I am super grateful that I can get a “gluten free safe” mocha at both Verve Coffee Roasters and Peets Coffee! At Peets, ask them to make the mocha with cocoa powder instead of their syrup, and then you can also have less simple syrup added in as well.
So, it makes me ecstatic when I get to order this comfort drink out (probably without the hazelnut flavoring), but I also like to enjoy these special drinks at home. Plus, you can make them a lot less expensive than when buying out!
I love Guittard Chocolate! Their cocoa powders, baking chocolate, and chocolate chips are free of any gluten. They are made in a gluten free facility, although not labeled “Gluten Free”.
If you are looking for gluten free extracts or flavorings, all of Schilling McCormick brand’s extracts are gluten free. There are many other choices as well; I picked Flavorganic Organic Hazelnut Extract . I chose pure maple syrup to sweeten this one, which won’t spike your blood sugar. The coffee is our local Santa Cruz (and now in many other cities also) Verve Coffee. You can use whatever preference you have for milk and whipped cream or coconut whipped cream. And another bonus is that at home I can use this fancy Cognac glass.
We purchased this VAVA Milk Frother several years ago. It’s been a great little product. It’s easy to use, takes up little space in the cupboard when not being used, heats the milk great, and froths quite well. Sometimes, certain almond milks don’t froth well though. It has several settings for less foam, more foam, heated milk and no foam, etc. When we first got it I used it all the time, mostly for cafe au lait, which is just coffee and steamed milk, with a little foam. It’s a great little machine and for the price, works amazing. Easy to clean too. I know they have newer styles now, but mine is still working great.
Laura’s Hazelnut Mocha (Gluten Free)
- 1 Vava Milk Frother or other frother optional
- 1 ½ tablespoons hot water
- 1 heaping teaspoon of Guittard Cocoa Rouge Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
- 1 – 1 ½ tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ cup steamed milk, your choice
- 1 ½ cups strong coffee
- ½ teaspoon Flavorganics Organic Hazelnut
- a spoon of whipped cream or coconut whipped cream, for topping
- Dissolve the cocoa powder in the hot water. Add the maple syrup and stir.
- Froth milk using an instant milk frother or a battery operated frother.
- Pour the cocoa mixture into your mug or cup. Add frothed milk, reserving some foam for the top. Add coffee and hazelnut extract. Stir to combine. Top with foam and whipped cream.