This Mediterranean lentil soup is so delicious! It’s a new favorite for sure, especially served with some Gluten Free Sourdough Flatbreads, with dipping olive oil and vinegar, and a simple salad. It can be easily made both vegetarian and gluten free. It’s meatless soup as well, but is so flavorful, satisfying and filling. My husband, who loves his meat, is completely satisfied with this soup as the main dish! Typically my lentil soups use Italian type flavors to season, but I love the twist on this one. It is more like a Mediterranean lentil chili. Check it out!
For a rounded meal, serve this soup with a big Greek salad, Gluten Free Sourdough Flatbreads, and some Mediterranean meatballs, and tzatziki sauce.
Mediterranean Lentil and Bean Soup (Gluten Free and Vegetarian Option)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-5 large cloves garlic , minced or crushed
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 28 ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes with juices
- 3 teaspoons cumin , gf brand
- 2 teaspoons coriander , gf brand
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried dill , gf brand or 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice , gf brand
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth , homemade or purchased, gf brand (use vegetable broth for vegetarian and vegan option)
- 15.5 ounce can kidney beans , liquid discarded
- 3/4 of a 15.5 ounce can garbanzo beans , liquid discarded
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey (use agave or maple syrup for vegan option)
- Additional salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Greek yogurt for topping (use cashew yogurt for vegan option)
- Fresh chopped flat leaf parsley for topping
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven sauté the onion with the salt and a sprinkle of crushed black pepper in the olive oil until soft and golden brown.
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté while stirring for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Add the water, lentils, diced tomatoes, broth, cumin, coriander, allspice, dill, and honey. Simmer covered with lid cracked for 1 hour.
- Add the beans and continue cooking on a low simmer until the lentils are tender, for 45 minutes to 1 hour longer.
- Remove the lid and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve piping hot and top with Greek yogurt and parsley and serve with Gluten Free Sourdough Flatbreads with Dipping Oil.