This has to be one of the coldest months of May I can remember! Even here in the Santa Cruz Mountains, it has either rained, misted, been windy and/or cold almost every one of the past eleven days. Hence, the blog post being Gingerbread Mini Cakes. I know most people think of gingerbread for Christmas or fall, but any day works for me.
Especially if you have a bit of lightly sweetened whipped cream to top it, or a bit of lemon curd and a large spoonful of whipping cream to top it…. even better! I happen to have both in my fridge currently.
Gingerbread is happily one of the quickest and easiest cakes to whip up. You can literally just hand mix this cake batter in a large bowl. So, I did…It’s in the oven currently. I wanted something sweet, and ginger happens to be a favorite flavor of mine. In my recipe, I use ground ginger, but you could replace with freshly grated. It’s a little more intense flavor, but delicious either way.
Gingerbread that is gluten free can imitate it’s non-gluten version quite easily. This one does have almond meal in it. I use it a lot in my baked goods.
Gluten Free Gingerbread Mini Cakes (cupcakes)
- 1/2 cup white rice flour gf
- 1/2 cup potato starch (not flour) gf
- 1/2 cup almond meal gf
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger gf
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon gf
- 1 heaping teaspoon pumpkin pie spice gf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses gf
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla gf
- powdered sugar to sift on top once cool
- lemon curd or whipping cream optional, gf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease your muffin tin or pan or line the muffin pan with papers.
- Stir the dry ingredients together and add the wet on top and hand mix with a wooden spoon until well combined and smooth.
- Spoon batter into prepared cupcake pans or a square 8 x 8 " greased pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If making a cake, bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Let cool in cupcake pan or cake pan for 10 minutes, then remove.
- Let cool in cupcake pan or cake pan for 10 minutes, then remove.
- Sift confectioners sugar over each cupcake, mini cake or larger cake, or glaze or frost.