This has to be one of the coldest months of May I can remember! Even here in the Santa Cruz Mountains, it has either rained, misted, been windy and/or cold almost every one of the past eleven days. Hence, the blog post being Gingerbread Mini Cakes. I know most people think of gingerbread for Christmas or fall, but any day works for me.
Especially if you have a bit of lightly sweetened whipped cream to top it, or a bit of lemon curd and a large spoonful of whipping cream to top it…. even better! I happen to have both in my fridge currently.
Gingerbread is happily one of the quickest and easiest cakes to whip up. So, I did…It’s in the oven currently. I wanted something sweet, and ginger happens to be a favorite flavor of mine. In my recipe, I use ground ginger, but you could replace with freshly grated. It’s a little more intense flavor, but delicious either way.
Gingerbread that is gluten free can imitate it’s non-gluten version quite easily. This one does have almond meal in it. I use it a lot in my baked goods.
Gluten Free Gingerbread Mini Cakes (cupcakes)
- 1/2 cup white rice flour gf
- 1/2 cup potato starch (not flour) gf
- 1/2 cup almond meal gf
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger gf
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon gf
- 1 heaping teaspoon pumpkin pie spice gf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses gf
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla gf
- powdered sugar to sift on top once cool
- lemon curd or whipping cream optional, gf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease your muffin tin or pan or line the muffin pan with papers.
- Stir the dry ingredients together and add the wet on top and hand mix with a wooden spoon until well combined and smooth.
- Spoon batter into prepared cupcake pans or a square 8 x 8 " greased pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If making a cake, bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Let cool in cupcake pan or cake pan for 10 minutes, then remove.
- Sift confectioners sugar over each cupcake,, mini cake or larger cake.