These Gluten Free/Grain Free Chocolate Almond Espresso Cookies or Chocolate Almond Cookies are perfect for your Halloween party or just for eating anytime!
I love the simplicity of these cookies. Plus, they don’t have much butter (you can substitute dairy free of course) and they are grain-free, with just plenty of dark chocolate, so they are healthy, right?! You can add in other flavors for different variations. Try adding a small amount of hazelnut extract or maybe some mint extract.
Hope you like them! (Revised 1/23/2023)
Gluten Free/Grain Free Chocolate Almond Espresso Cookies or Chocolate Almond Cookies
For chocolate variation:
- 3 1/2 tablespoons of unsalted butter or unsalted non dairy butter, softened
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup Kirkland Signature Almond Flour, packed
- 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Tapioca Flour, gf
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, gf
- 5 oz. Trader Joe's 72% Cacao Dark Chocolate Chips, gluten free and dairy free
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, gf
- Pinch of salt
- 3-4 tbsp powdered sugar for rolling
For espresso variation:
- Add 2 teaspoons finely ground Verve Coffee Roasters espresso beans or other coffee bean
- 1 tablespoons strong brewed Verve Coffee Roasters or other coffee
For mint mocha variation:
- Add the ingredients for espresso variation plus add 1 teaspoon mint extract
For spiced variation add to the chocolate almond dough:
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, gf
- 2 teaspoons rum, gf
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, gf
- Melt the chocolate chips in a small saucepan over low heat until they just begin to melt. Remove from the heat and continue to stir until melted.
- Next, cream the softened butter and the sugars in a stand mixer bowl or in a large bowl by hand or using a hand mixer. Add the egg and mix in. Add the melted chocolate in and combine completely. Add the almond flour, tapioca flour, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Chill the dough for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll into 1" balls and roll in the powdered sugar completely. Place on parchment lined cookie sheets or stone pans. Bake for 11-15 minutes until crackled on top and still slightly soft in the middle. Remove from the oven. Let sit on a cookie sheet for 1 -2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.