Roast chicken is always a perfect no fuss meal! You can prep it early, let it sit in the marinade for several hours, and then cook it pretty much untouched. This roast chicken has flavors of Mexico! You can pair it for full fiesta with all the fixings for a taco plate, or just serve a veggie and rice or potatoes. If you like a bit more spice, add another ½ – ¾ teaspoon of Aleppo pepper. We love one pan meals at our house. They are so easy for cooking and cleanup! Pop some potatoes wedges in the pan with the onion slices and a few carrots cut in thirds and you have a wonderful meal. I’m dreaming of Mexico and can’t wait until we can travel again! The rolled fried cheese (like the picture below) is the best there!
Flavorful Mexican Style Roasted Chicken (Gluten Free)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced or 1 ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, gluten free brand if powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons Ancho chili powder gluten free
- ¾ teaspoon Aleppo chili powder gluten free
- 2 teaspoons cumin gluten free
- ¾ teaspoon oregano gluten free
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tequila, optional
- 4-5 pound whole chicken giblets removed and pat dry
- 1/2 large red or white onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Put the chicken into a large Ziploc or in a glass Pyrex dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken and into the inside of chicken cavity, allowing it to coat the chicken. If using a Pyrex dish, cover completely with foil or cellophane and refrigerate. If using a Ziploc, seal the Ziploc and place on a large plate or platter and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. When approximately one hour from cooking the chicken, remove from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature (less time needed in warmer temperatures).
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Remove chicken from marinade and place on a stone pan or in a large cast iron skillet. Dry the inside of the chicken with a paper towel.
- Bake the chicken on a stone pan or large cast iron at 450 degrees F for ½ hour. Remove the chicken from the oven and remove the liquid fat from the pan, using a turkey baster or a spoon. Add the onion slices to the pan around the chicken. Drizzle the onion with a tablespoon of olive oil. Then decrease oven temperature to 425 and return the chicken to the oven and bake for 1 – 1 ½ hours more. After the hour, check the temperature using a meat thermometer. Internal temperature should read 165 at the thigh/leg joint.
- Remove the chicken from the oven when the internal temperature reaches 165 at the thigh/leg joint. Allow the chicken to rest for 15 – 20 minutes before carving and serving. Serve with rice and beans, and tortillas on the side and all the fixings for tacos. You can also roast a few potatoes or carrots in the pan if you prefer.