I love lemon! A half of lemon in warm water with a teaspoon of local honey in the morning before starting the day makes me feel so good . It also may be the very reason people say I look so young :)…and lemon curd ~ I don’t think there’s anything much better than lemon curd on a waffle with some fresh whipped cream and berries on top. So, why not lemon blackberry muffins (GF of course) for those of us that love the flavors of lemon and berry together.
Gluten Free Lemon Blackberry Muffins
- 8 Tablespoon butter softened
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup toasted almonds ground fine in a food processor
- 1/3 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoon brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoon white rice flour
- 3/4 teas poon xantham gum
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teas poon baking soda
- zest from 2 large lemons
- 1/2 cup lemon juice divided (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon for muffins, 1/4 cup – 1 tablespoon for glaze)
- 1/4 teaspoon mexican vanilla
- 1 cup blackberries fresh or frozen, (optional, can also use blueberries)
- 5 or 6 heaping teaspoons powdered sugar for glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper muffin cups.
- In a large mixer, cream the butter and the sugar. Beat in the eggs, then the flours and dry all ingredients (except powdered sugar).
- Add the milk, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix until combined. Stir in by hand 1 cup of fresh or frozen blackberries (or blueberries).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin papers. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat reserved lemon juice slightly and add powdered sugar and stir until smooth. Put muffins on a cooling rack and drizzle glaze on muffins. These are delicious when warm!