Here is a recipe for a gluten free bread with seeds and nuts and a bit more complexity in the flavor than most gluten free bread. I like the moist and chewy texture, the heartiness with a few more seeds and grains, and the crunchy exterior. You can add more seeds if you like, leave out the poppy seed if you don’t like them, or add other seeds in, maybe some some flax seed, in addition to what I’ve used. When it was nearly cooled, I sliced a few pieces and I enjoyed a piece with butter. I think it’s going to toast really well and make a killer grilled cheese or a yummy toast with some raspberry jam or peanut butter. It has quite a few ingredients, and for that, I’m sorry! I have most of these ingredients in stock in my pantry, but I know sometimes you just don’t have all these on hand. Cool it completely before packing in a Ziploc to seal. You can leave this on the counter the first the first day, then refrigerate or freeze individual slices (in between small parchment pieces works well).
Gluten Free Seed and Nut Sandwich Bread
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 4 teaspoons yeast gluten free
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Grain Free Cassava Flour (gluten free)
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Finely Ground Tapioca Flour (also known as Tapioca Starch, gluten free)
- 1/2 cup Ryze Rice Flour Blend or Bob's Red Mill Millet Flour (gluten free)
- 1/2 cup almond flour finely ground
- 1/2 cup cornmeal finely ground and gluten free (I use Safeway Organics Organic Corn Meal, which is gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/8 cup sunflower seeds or chopped almonds, walnuts or pecans
- 1/8 cup gluten free oats (I use Trader Joe's Rolled Oats, 100%while Grain Oats and Gluten Free)
- 1/8 cup quinoa cooked (see below directions)
- 3/4 – 1 cup additional Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
Egg white wash:
- 1 tablespoon egg white mixed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon whole grain gluten free oats
- 1 tablespoon seeds (pumpkin and sunflower seeds)
- In a small bowl put warm water, yeast, olive oil, sugar and maple syrup. Stir and let sit until bubbly about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Sift together into a large bowl, the 1 to 1 gluten free flour, cassava flour, tapioca flour (starch), almond flour, Ryze flour, corn meal, salt and xanthan or guar gum.
- In a small saucepan, add 1 cup of water and set over high heat to boil. When water is boiling, pour in the quinoa and turn down to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and cool completely.
- When the yeast mixture is bubbly, make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the yeast mixture in. Mix in by hand until fully incorporated. Add the balsamic vinegar in and then the egg whites, mixing by hand again until no egg white is visible. Stir in the pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds, oats, sunflower seeds or nuts, and cooked and completely drained quinoa.
- Cover with a towel and let rest 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a well floured board and knead, adding in 1/2 -1 cup additional 1 to 1 gluten free flour, kneading until you have a smooth, soft, very pliable dough.
- Grease a 9" bread loaf pan with vegetable oil or olive oil. Pick the dough up (it should hold together now).Fold the outside of the dough to the underneath side, making the top very smooth as you do. The dough should be rounded and rectangular to fit the length of the pan. Set gently in the pan. Smooth the top with a little water on your hands if needed.
- Cover the pan with a towel and set in your oven on "bread proof" setting (if you have it), or put in a warm place to rise until approximately 1 1/2 – 2 times the size. (1 to 2 hours). In the oven with the light on works well here, but on the counter is fine if it's warm out.
- Egg Wash: Mix 1 tablespoon egg white with 1 tablespoon water. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon whole grain gluten free oats and 1 tablespoon seeds (pumpkin and sunflower seeds)
- Brush the egg wash on the bread. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of oats and a tablespoon of seeds (whatever you like) over the top.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 45 -55 minutes or until internal thermometer reads 208 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing.