Lemon bars, made both gluten free and organic, (with the exception of a couple of ingredients). These bar have a soft zesty lemon filling and a crisp shortbread crust! It may be a simple thing, but getting to enjoy a gluten free cookie is not something I take lightly.
I made these organic and gluten free for a client recently and they turned out great. The arrowroot flour I used was Bob’s Red Mill, which was not certified organic, but you could possibly find a different brand if needed.
I love our little Meyer lemon tree which has lots of lemons currently! Growing plants on our deck is not quite as easy in the winter months, but I still have lemons and limes to enjoy this winter. I’m getting excited and ready to start thinking about some spring gardening though!
Are you planning to grow anything this summer?
Laura’s Organic and Gluten Free Lemon Bars
- 1 8" square pan
- 6 ½ tbsp organic butter, unsalted
- ¾ cup Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour, Gluten Free
- ¼ cup Bob's Red Mill Arrowroot Flour, Gluten Free
- 3 tbsp organic cane sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- 3 tbsp Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour, Gluten Free
- 4 tbsp lemon juice, from organic lemons
- 1 ½ tsp lemon zest, from organic lemons
- ½ tbsp cornstarch, gluten free
- 1 ½ tbsp organic butter, softened
- Wholesome Organic Powdered Sugar, gf, for dusting the top of the lemon bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer bowl or a food processor, combine the 6 1/2 tablespoons butter cut into pieces, 3/4 cup of brown rice flour, the arrowroot flour, 3 tablespoons of cane sugar, salt, and xanthan gum. Mix or pulse until small crumbs remain.
- Line an 8" square pan with parchment. Press the crust mixture into the lined pan, with the back of a spoon or rubber spatula to evenly get into the crust the corners.
- Bake the crust for 15-18 minutes or until the edges are beginning to turn golden brown.
- Make the filling in the meantime, in the stand mixer bowl or using a medium bowl and a hand mixer. Add the eggs, 1 1/4 cups sugar, 3 tablespoons of brown rice flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, cornstarch, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter. Using the whisk attachment blend until well mixed and slightly frothy.
- After the crust is finished with it's first bake, pour the filling in and return to the oven for 18-25 minutes or until the edges are browned and the top is a little golden.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely (for 3 to 4 hours is best). Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into squares and enjoy!