Looking for a salad that is both out of the ordinary and healthy? This tangy Pomegranate and White Bean (Cannellini Bean) Salad over Spinach is just the ticket.
This salad has enough protein from the beans that it can also be a lunch or main dish. I need my salads to have a bit of sustenance to them, otherwise I will be hungry in about an hour!
A perfect side to your Mediterranean meal
Mediterranean food is some of my favorite food and this salad would make a perfect side for a Mediterranean dish, maybe some Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs (Gluten Free) or even Paella Mixta made Gluten Free.
When you are unable to get fresh pomegranates, try Trader Joe’s Organic Pomegranate Seeds. Although they aren’t quite as good as fresh, they will still work in this recipe well.
For marinated artichoke hearts, one of my favorites is Trader Joe’s Marinated and Grilled Artichoke Heart Halves. Amazon also has these in a two pack, Trader Joe’s Marinated and Grilled Artichoke Heart Halves, 2 pk.
Health benefits of pomegranate seeds
Pomegranate seeds are high in Vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium, as well as being high in fiber content and also rich in antioxidants, which fight inflammation in our bodies.
I love pomegranate seeds! Usually I do tend to gravitate to produce I can easily get in season, but pomegranates are fruits that have a short growing season and thus they aren’t available for much of the year.
Pomegranates have long been a favorite of mine, since I was quite young, I loved them. They are a fun fruit and garnish that I like to add to dishes for color, flavor, and texture.
You can make this salad dairy free
Make this salad completely dairy-free (it is already free of gluten)! Simply by leaving the parmesan cheese off or substituting a dairy free cheese alternative it can be made dairy free.
I think the Trader Joe’s Dairy Free Shredded Parmesan Cheese Alternative is pretty good for a dairy free cheese. This review is coming from a cheese lover!
Now, I still wouldn’t go overboard on the dairy free cheese. You don’t want the coconut taste which many dairy free cheeses have to come through in this dish. However, I think in small amounts this cheese is pretty decent and has a taste of actually cow’s milk parmesan cheese.
Also, I’ve used it on pizza for those that need to have a dairy free option, it seems to taste pretty good, again in small amounts. One observation is, it tends to not melt super well, however.
For the salad, you could simply have the cheese or cheese alternative on the side and pass with the dressing, so everyone can take what they like.
Pomegranate and White Bean Salad over Spinach (Gluten Free)
- ⅛ cup pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar or rice vinegar gf
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin or avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or crushed
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill gf
- ⅛ teaspoon salt more to taste
- a pinch of crushed black pepper
Pomegranate and White Bean Salad over Spinach
- 5 oz, spinach or baby spinach triple washed
- 1 can cannellini beans or white beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½-¾ cup marinated artichoke hearts
- ⅛ cup fresh basil, leaves chopped or torn
- ⅛ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 recipe of Pomegranate Dressing
- Add the spinach to a bowl. Top with the cannellini beans, the pomegranate seeds, and the artichoke hearts. Toss together or drizzle with the dressing. Add the chopped parsley and basil over the top. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.