During the cooler fall days, we love our soup recipes! Here’s a classic, Italian Wedding Meatball Soup (Gluten Free) with Turkey Meatballs.
This version of the classic Italian soup is loaded with vegetables, is low in fat, high in fiber, and full of flavor!
No need for breadcrumbs in this meatball
For a non-bread version, I used a bit of leftover rice in the meatballs instead of gluten free breadcrumbs. I do remember my grandma adding leftover rice into so many dishes! The meatballs were delicious with it. We also were able to use up some leftover rice, also.
What kind of pasta should I use?
The pasta I used is a fun shaped small gluten free pasta from one of my favorite gluten free pasta makers, Le Veneziane Anellini. These tiny pasta pieces cook in just a few minutes in the simmering soup. You could also choose to cook them separately and add into each bowl, if preferred.
If you can’t find this pasta shape, you can use any small gluten free pasta you like. Try elbows or another small pasta type. DeLallo Gluten Free Orzo Pasta, Made with Corn & Rice, Wheat Free, 12oz Bag, 2-Pack would also be a great choice, although I have not tried this one yet.
No broth needed in this vegetable loaded stock
If you don’t have vegetable or chicken broth on hand, don’t worry because this recipe you can just use water instead. The vegetables simmer for a bit of time in the water giving the rich taste that you would normally get from a broth or stock. You can still chose to use stock or broth and the flavor will be even deeper.
Italian Wedding Soup (Gluten Free) with Turkey Meatballs
- 1 large stockpot
For the Turkey Meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey 85% lean preferably
- ½ cup cooked white rice
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3-4 large cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked or ground black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves, minced
For the Soup
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 medium carrots, minced
- ¾ cup fennel, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups water or vegetable broth, gf
- ½ teaspoon paprika, gf
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, gf
- ¼-½ teaspoon turmeric, gf
- ½-¾ teaspoon dried basil, gf
- 1 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp balsamic
- Salt to taste
- ½-¾ cup Le Veneziane Anellini pasta
For the Meatballs
- 1) In a medium bowl, mix the meatball ingredients until thoroughly combined. Form into 1" balls. Fry the meatballs in a little olive oil in a skillet, turning to brown evenly on all sides, and cooking most of the way through. Set on a plate.
For the Soup
- 1) In a few tablespoons of olive oil, saute the onion, carrots, garlic, fennel, celery, and salt until soft.
- 2) Add the water, paprika, thyme, turmeric, dried basil, balsamic, and fresh parsley. Simmer over medium low for 45 minutes. Add the meatballs and continue to simmer for another 45 minutes.
- 3) Add the Le Veneziane Anellini and cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve. Top bowls with parmesan and minced parsley or basil. Dip crusts of bread into the soup (gluten free bread if needed).
Looking for more soup recipes? Check out these delicious Mama Laura’s Kitchen soup recipes you may want to give a try!