Fall is in the air soon and we are getting our fall recipes ready here! This is one I’ve made often, but not since last winter! I never used to be a fan of creamy soups, but this Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Bisque with Dubliner Cheese is one of my favorites!
This soup has a creamy texture and is loaded with flavor from the roasted squash or pumpkin, carrots, and the roasted green apples. It’s both sweet and savory! Not to mention, healthy, as it is loaded with vegetables and fruit!
What to Serve With This Bisque
Try serving this in larger bowls when serving as a main dish with Gluten Free Puffy Yeast Breadsticks or french bread. Or serve in small cup servings as a starter to a fall entree. You’ll be surprised by the flavor combinations and will keep this in your soup rotations.
You can also easily prepare the roasted vegetables and apples the evening or day before if you need to save time on the day of making this. Then the soup will be put together effortless the following day.
To reheat the soup, simply pour into a saucepan and heat over very low heat, covered, until hot. Or microwave bowls or cups in 30 second intervals until hot.
Serve this on a fall evening or for the first course of your Thanksgiving menu. It’s sure to warm and comfort you! Or dish it up for lunch with a small salad, maybe my Fall Salad with Fuju Persimmons and Pomegranate Seeds. You won’t be disappointed with this creamy bursting with flavor bisque!
If you don’t have Dubliner just substitute another sharp white cheddar or even parmesan cheese. It won’t be quite as creamy as it would have been but will still be just as tasty. For the creamer, I love Califia Farms‘ pecan caramel almond creamer, but you can substitute cream or half and half.
You could as well substitute another type of apple in the recipe. I love the tartness of the granny smith or pippin apple. Pippin apple hold a very special place in my heart as they were my Grandpa Pedulla’s favorite apple. If you’ve never tried one, they are both tart and sweet, which is the perfect place for an apple in my opinion.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Bisque with Dubliner Cheese
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 4 cups butternut, acorn, or sugar pumpkin, roasted or a combination, measured after roasting
- 2 granny smith or pippin apples, cored and roasted
- 3 large carrots, roasted
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2½ cups water
- 1 rosemary sprig or 5-6 thyme sprigs tied with string
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, gf
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder, gf more to taste
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup Dubliner Cheddar or other white cheddar, grated
- 1 tbsp heavy cream or half and half
- 1-2 tbsp Califia Farms Pecan Caramel Almond Creamer, gf or substitute cream or half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup roasted pepitas or pumpkin seeds to top bowls
- minced chives, thyme, or rosemary to top bowls
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Line 1 or 2 baking sheets or stone baking pans with parchment paper.
- Cut the acorn or butternut squash or sugar pumpkin in halves. Remove the seeds scraping them out with a spoon. Cut the carrots into 4" long pieces and halve the apples and remove the core. Set the squash face up and drizzle with olive oil. Then turn face down on the sheet. Place the carrot pieces on the sheet and apple pieces face up on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, then turn apple halves face down on the baking sheet. Add salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes. Remove the apple and carrot pieces to a bowl. Continue to roast the squash or pumpkin for another 15-20 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Scrape the squash or pumpkin away from the skin using a scoop. Measure out 4 cups of roasted squash or pumpkin.
- In a stockpot or large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute the diced onion, carrots, and celery until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and water and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add roasted squash or pumpkin, roasted apples and carrots, rosemary or thyme, cayenne, nutmeg, and maple syrup.
- Simmer covered loosely for 40-45 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove the sprigs of herbs and discard.
- Use an emulsion blender to puree to a smooth soup, covering with a towel so it doesn't splatter. Add 1/4 – 1/2 cup more of water as needed. Add in balsamic vinegar, stirring. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add cream, Pecan Caramel Creamer, and cheese, reserving 1/4 cup of cheese for topping the bowls of soups.
- Ladle into bowls and top with minced rosemary or thyme. Top bowls with reserved cheese, black pepper, and pepitas.