Do you need a side dish full of flavor?! Try this Mediterranean Lemony Rice Pilaf (Gluten Free)! Loaded with veggies and spices, plus lemon juice and lemon slices, it’s sure to spice up your meal.
The spices in this rice make it a perfect compliment to many entrees. Such as, dishes that are simpler in flavor, since this dish has so much zesty flavor.
In addition, the zesty flavor will also pair with your favorite Mediterranean kebabs, Marinated and Grilled Greek Chicken (Gluten Free), vegetable skewers or grilled vegetables, or with flatbreads and hummus.
Serve this rice pilaf for your meal at lunch or as a side for dinner
This dish is so loaded with vegetables, it will feel like you are enjoying a complete meal! Serve it to your family for lunch or dinner. You’ll take joy in knowing you are serving them a large amount of vegetables and vitamins and minerals, as well. Serve this yummy Mediterranean Lemony Rice Pilaf (Gluten Free) with flatbreads or a Greek salad or green salad for lunch.
What kind of rice should you use?
I love Trader Joe’s Organic Basmati Rice, and it is my choice for many of my rice dishes. That said sometimes I will switch and use a brown rice if I want a bit more substantial rice. If you do, simply follow the cooking time on the package and use the correct amount of liquid for the amount of rice in the recipe.
Mediterranean Lemony Rice Pilaf (Gluten Free)
- 1 4-5 qt saucepan
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ½ onion, minced
- ¼ cup orange bell pepper or red pepper, minced
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1½ cups Basmati rice
- 3 cup vegetable or chicken stock or broth, gf
- 1 teaspoon paprika, gf
- ⅜ teaspoon saffron threads, gf
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme, gf
- ½ teaspoon turmeric, gf
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup spinach or kale leaves, chopped
- pinch of crushed red pepper, gf optional
- 3-4 lemon slices, cut in halves, to top rice add in at end of cooking for less lemon flavor
- Chopped flat leaf parsley to top
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Saute the onion and red pepper with the salt, over medium low heat until soft. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and stir to coat. Pour in the broth, the spices, lemon juice, diced tomato, and spinach or kale. Add the lemon slices and pinch of red pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and turn the heat down to a very low simmer. Cook for 13-16 minutes, depending on your rice directions.
- Remove from the burner and let sit for 5 minutes before fluffing. Top with chopped parsley before serving.